Enrolling in CWI’s Medical Administrative Support program will provide you exposure to a profession that performs a variety of duties in a medical environment. Physicians rely on well-trained medical administrative support professionals to assist in the operation of a medical office and the documentation of patient care. Successful students in this program typically possess above-average skills in communication, organization, and attention to detail.
Specialized coursework focuses on medical terminology, electronic heath records, health information management, human relations, exceptional customer service, insurance and billing. This program is competency based, specifying student performance objectives required for employment.
Why This Program
Careers in all areas of healthcare are in great demand throughout the nation. Medical office administrative support professionals are critical to the support of clinical staff in the health care industry. Physicians rely on well-trained medical administrative support professionals to assist in the operation of a medical office and the documentation of patient care.
What You Will Learn to Do
- Manage and maintain all aspects of an office environment
- Use and understand medical terminology
- Learn to use the latest workplace technology and computer software
- Schedule appointments and register patients using specialized medical software
- Maintain confidential medical records and prepare correspondence
- Learn to interact with a diverse population
- Prepare patient insurance claims and complete the medical billing cycle
- Understand the complex world of healthcare compliance and regulatory issues
- Work professionally and ethically as a part of a medical team
Requirements and Costs
Degrees and Certificates
Associate of Applied Science for Medical Administrative Support
Intermediate Technical Certificate for Medical Administrative Support
Important Dates for Credit Programs
|Summer 2016||Fall 2016||Spring 2017|
|Registration Open||April 11||April 11||November 14|
|Financial Aid Priority Date||May 16||July 11||December 5|
|Admission Deadline||May 20||August 5||December 30|
|Last Day to Register||June 3||August 19||January 13|
|Tuition and Fees Due||June 3||August 19||January 13|
|Classes Begin||June 6*||August 22*||January 17*|
|*Some classes begin before or after this date. See the class schedule for more information.|
Skills, Traits, and Prep Classes
- A desire to provide exceptional service for patients in a medical setting
- Compassion, dependability, and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- College-level reading and writing skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Precise attention to detail
- Clean criminal background check
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI One Stop Student Services offers advising assistance, to help in deciding which courses you need to take to complete your educational goals. Visit Advising for more information or contact One Stop Student Services to schedule an appointment.
The required assessments for the 25nwam Keyboarding speed and CISA 001 prerequisites for the ADMS 110, ADMS 111, ADMS 162, and ADMS 164 courses are NO LONGER REQUIRED.
Financial Aid Available
Did you know that as a student in this program you may be eligible for financial aid? Through grants, scholarships, and loans, more than 60 percent of first-time, full-time CWI students receive some form of financial assistance. To learn more about financial aid options and whether you may be eligible, visit Financial Aid.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for a full-time CWI student averages half the cost of a state university and a third of the cost of a private college. Tuition and fees vary based on program and residence. Visit Tuition and Fees for more information.
Careers in all areas of healthcare are in great demand throughout the nation. Medical Administrative support professionals are critical to the support of clinical staff in the health care industry. Physicians rely on well-trained medical administrative support professionals to assist in the operation of a medical office and the documentation of patient care.
- A variety of medical specialty practices
- Nursing homes
- Medical insurance and billing companies
- Many other health care facilities