Our career-focused Administrative Specialist program now has three concentrations available: Accounting, Medical Administrative Support, or Marketing Management. Take the next step in your career and apply today!
The Administrative Specialist program provides skills for students seeking a career in office administration. Students gain proficiency in leading office application software with the opportunity to obtain Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certifications. Students gain strong editing and writing skills, business math and accounting fundamentals, digital publishing and basic website design and maintenance training.
The program also provides options and opportunities through the following:
- The Applied Accounting concentration prepares students by enhancing the skills of individuals who are seeking or are currently employed in accounting-related positions.
- The Medical Administrative Support concentration prepares students by building medical front office skills, enhancing human relations skills, and training with medical office software for scheduling, submitting electronic bills, and documenting patient encounters.
- The Marketing Management concentration offers students a wide range of business courses including business concepts, marketing, promotion, selling, or management.
Program graduates are equipped with the office and management skills necessary to become productive and responsible leaders in today’s workplace.
The mission of the Administrative Specialist program is to empower our students to better their lives and to contribute positively to the employers and communities in which they work and live. Students will utilize current technology to develop new skills and attributes required for successful entry into the office support field.
Why This Program
Imagine becoming an important member of an office team. In almost every sector of business and industry, there is a need for skilled administrative assistants. When you enroll in the Administrative Specialist Program here at CWI, we help you learn the skills you need to become a qualified professional. You will receive the skills to manage the day-to-day administrative needs of any office environment.
What You Will Learn to Do
- Prepare to write and speak professionally
- Develop skill and proficiency using the latest Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Proficiency leads to MOS certification
- Apply real-world math skills to specific business processes
- Demonstrate knowledge of accounting processes including the use of computerized accounting software
- Fulfill a specialty or concentration from one of three different areas
- Possess an understanding of the mechanics of websites and the role social media integration has on web design and website management
- Implement design methods and apply software applications to effect visual and written communication across a wide range of digital mediums
- Use appropriate interpersonal skills, with sensitivity to ethnic and cultural differences, as they relate to various workplace situations
Requirements and Costs
Degrees and Certificates
Associate of Applied Science for Administrative Specialist—Fall Start
Advanced Technical Certificate for Administrative Specialist—Fall Start
Intermediate Technical Certificate for Administrative Specialist—Fall Start
Basic Technical Certificate for Administrative Specialist—Fall Start
Associate of Applied Science for Administrative Specialist—Spring Start
Advanced Technical Certificate for Administrative Specialist—Spring Start
Intermediate Technical Certificate for Administrative Specialist—Spring Start
Basic Technical Certificate for Administrative Specialist—Spring Start
Important Dates for Credit Programs
|Spring 2016||Summer 2016||Fall 2016|
|Registration Open||November 9||April 11||April 11|
|Financial Aid Priority Date||November 23||May 16||July 11|
|Admission Deadline||December 21||May 20||August 5|
|Last Day to Register||January 8||June 3||August 19|
|Tuition and Fees Due||January 8||June 3||August 19|
|Classes Begin||January 11*||June 6*||August 22*|
|*Some classes begin before or after this date. See the class schedule for more information.|
Skills, Traits, and Prep Classes
- Interest in a business career
- Enjoyment of working with others
- Keyboarding proficiency is a plus
- College-level reading skills
- Fluency in the English Language
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI One Stop Student Services offers advising assistance, to help in deciding which courses you need to take to complete your educational goals. Visit Advising for more information or contact One Stop Student Services to schedule an appointment.
This program requires an internship. This is a wonderful opportunity to apply classroom knowledge and skills acquired in a structured, real-world organization. Find out more.
Financial Aid Available
Did you know that as a student in this program you may be eligible for financial aid? Through grants, scholarships, and loans, more than 60 percent of first-time, full-time CWI students receive some form of financial assistance. To learn more about financial aid options and whether you may be eligible, visit Financial Aid.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for a full-time CWI student averages half the cost of a state university and a third of the cost of a private college. Tuition and fees vary based on program and residence. Visit Tuition and Fees for more information.
This program provides training needed to enter all types of administrative specialist. Graduates may find employment with large corporations, small businesses, government organizations, and more.
Administrative assistants often support the work of managers, preparing presentations, managing calls, handling correspondence, and responding to various needs of the business as they arise.
- Executive Secretaries
- Administrative Assistants
- Executive Administrative Assistants