Compass testing is no longer offered by the College of Western Idaho. The College of Western Idaho will continue to accept Compass placement scores through December 2019.
Acceptable Placement Scores
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Advanced Placement (AP) (Students must work with teachers/counselors at their High School to see which courses are offered through their school. Only Math and English are accepted for placement purposes.)
- Write Class Placement
- Math Placement
- College Math or English courses taken at other Colleges
All Incoming students must take the CWI Write Class Placement (WCP) exam, unless they have previous English college credit. The exam uses multiple measures (such as GPA, Standardized Test scores, and self-assessment) to direct students into the appropriate English courses for this skill level. This WCP is taken online by the student, at his or her own pace. Students may be placed into ENGL 101 Plus (ENGL 101P with companion course ENGL 100), or ENGL 101. Students who score highly will be invited to apply for placement into English 102. Students may choose to take ENGL 101 Plus even if they place into a higher course.
For students who speak English as a learned language, CWI uses the Write Class Placement to determine whether placement in English as a Second Language courses is in the student’s best interest. These courses that are specially designed to meet these students’ needs and help them be successful in an academic setting. An ESL specialist will contact the student with their ESL placement.
The ACT and SAT exam score, that is 3 years old or less, is used to determine placement of an incoming student into the appropriate mathematics course. An incoming student will need to take the Math Diagnostic to determine placement if the student does not have either ACT or SAT scores or prior college Math placement. The table below indicates the course options for students using the Math score on the ACT or SAT. Students who wish to place higher than their ACT or SAT scores allow may also take the Math Diagnostic. Listed below is the Diagnostic results placement. The mathematics course which is required for graduation of degree-seeking students is determined by the students’ chosen major.
Items to bring for your Placement Testing
- Please bring a valid Photo ID (expired ID is not valid).
- Accepted forms of ID are: Driver's License, State ID Card, Military ID Card, Passport, Permanent Resident Card, CWI Student ID Card, or current-year High School ID card for current High School students.
- Personal scientific calculators are permitted for the Math Placement Test. Calculators are also available from the Assessment Center for use. Graphing calculators are not permitted on the Math Placement.
- All placement tests must be scheduled via cwidaho.cc/exam.
Please contact us for any additional help or questions.
- Schedule Your Exam
- How to Schedule an Exam
- Your Scheduled Exams
- Certification Exams
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP®)
- Placement Testing
- GED Information
- Faculty Resources
- Proctored Exams
- Study Guides
- Testing Policies