Dual Credit - Students and Parents

Steps to Becoming a Dual Credit Student

  • Contact your high school counselor to determine which Dual Credit courses are offered at your high school or contact the Dual Credit office to discuss taking classes online or on College of Western Idaho's (CWI) campus
  • Complete the registration packet
  • Submit the registration packet to the Dual Credit office by mail or in person, or you may be instructed to return to your teacher/counselor. A Dual Credit team member will register you for your classes
  • Make sure you know all the important dates and deadlines such as when fees and tuition are due
  • Students taking classes on campus/online will need to purchase books. To view required materials visit myCWI
  • Attend class

Eligibility and Testing

Dual Credit Registration Packet Assessment and Testing Centers

Eligibility Criteria for Dual Credit Students
  • Be at least 16 years old or have successfully completed at least one-half of the high school graduation requirements as certified by their local school district/home school administrator *
  • Maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA
  • Meet the prerequisites/placement requirements of a course or have instructor permission
  • Obtain permission of high school administrative representative and signature of parent/guardian

*Students under 16 or who have not completed half of their graduation requirements, may still participate in the program by submitting the Sophomore By Exception form included within the Dual Credit registration packet.


Placement test scores are used to ensure students taking classes on campus or online register into appropriate college coursework on campus. If you do not have ACT/SAT scores, or do not have college coursework in math and English you will need to take the COMPASS before you can register for any math or English course on campus or online. Students who do not attend an accredited high school, will also be required to take the COMPASS prior to registration into any Dual Credit course.


Tuition and Fees
  • CWI Dual Credit students are charged $65 per credit for any dual credit course, regardless of whether the course is completed in the fall, spring, or summer semester
  • Course fees do not change depending on whether the course is taken at the high school, on campus, or online*
  • Some courses may have additional fees; i.e. lab fees, supplies, and material fees
  • The high school may provide students with textbooks. Students who complete courses online or on the CWI campus are responsible for purchasing textbooks
  • There is not an application fee to register for Dual Credit courses
  • To find out when payment is due please refer to the dates and deadlines
  • If the student does NOT live in one of the following five counties you must complete a Certificate of Residency for and submit it to your county clerk. The county clerk will than attempt to certify your legal residency. If they cannot, you will be responsible for paying the county portion of your tuition. Students residing in Ada, Canyon, Jerome, Twin Falls, or Kootenai counties do not need to complete the certificate of residency. For more information and a list of county clerk addresses please complete the Certificate of Residency/Affidavit

*Online courses assess an additional $10 per credit fee.

Advanced Opportunities

Idaho’s Department of Education recognizes that high school students across the state are seeking opportunities to earn college credit. In an effort to encourage these students the state provides several programs through the Advanced Opportunities initiative. For more information on these programs please visit Advanced Opportunities.

Fast Forward

The Fast Forward program was created by the State Department of Education in an effort to increase college-going rates in Idaho. To put it simply, Idaho will pay for every junior attending a public high school or a public charter high school to complete up to three college credits, and will pay for seniors to complete up to six credits. Funds may also be used to pay for the cost of advanced placement or other college-credit bearing or professional certificate examinations.

  • Fast Forward funding does not cover the cost of books or other supplies the student may need
  • The State Department of Education will pay for dual credits during high school. After graduation, students are on their own
  • For more information regarding the Fast Forward program speak with the school counselor. Your counselor can help you decide whether the program is right for you, which classes to take and help you complete any necessary paperwork. Learn more by visiting FastForwardIdaho.com
Advanced Learner Achievement Award (ALAA)

CWI Scholarships

  • The ALAA was created to help Dual Credit high school student’s transition to full-time college students. This is a great opportunity for students who have already started their college careers while in high school to continue on
  • Available to seniors graduating spring 2016
  • 35 students will receive $1,000 and an additional 80 students will receive a $500 scholarship to CWI
  • Students who are awarded must attend CWI as a full-time, degree seeking student fall 2016
  • The scholarship application can be found at the CWI scholarship website
Financial Aid


  • Dual Credit students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid
  • Students with a college savings program such as an Ideal account may use these funds to pay for Dual Credit courses

Student Responsibilities

  • CONTENT: Students taking on-campus or online courses may be exposed to discussions, readings, and visual material of a mature nature and will be expected to conform to the same performance standards as any other college student as set forth in course outlines and syllabi
  • ATTENDANCE: Regular class attendance is important for success in college classes. Students who miss class for numerous high school activities may benefit from taking regular high school classes rather than college classes due to the higher level of academic rigor and expectations for college courses. The attendance policy for students is set by the instructor and should be included on the course syllabus that is handed out on the first day of class. Students should discuss any absence with their instructor in advance of the absence as this may affect their grade. High school activities are not automatically excused
  • PLAGIARISM/CHEATING: CWI strives to create an academic community conducive to the proper functioning of the educational process and the development of each student. Students who are caught cheating or plagiarizing are subject to the disciplinary matters outlined in CWI’s Student Handbook which can include suspension or expulsion
  • ADDING OR DROPPING A COURSE: It is the student’s responsibility to drop a course. High School students who add or drop courses should make sure the high school counselor is aware of any changes the student is making in his/her schedule and that appropriate approvals are in place. Students who do not drop a course and fail to attend or submit work will receive the grade for the course they earn. Students who fail a course will receive an F on their transcript. This can affect their future financial aid eligibility
  • GRADES: The grades earned through Dual Credit are a part of your permanent college record. To drop a class you MUST withdraw from the class by filling out the withdrawal form. If dropped after the payment deadline, the student will have a permanent transcript showing a grade of "W"
  • COURSE MATERIALS: CWI Will not provide books/supplies for required courses held online or on-campus. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain them. For required course materials, visit myCWI
  • PAYMENT: Students are responsible for paying all applicable fees within the specified time frame. Failure to do so will result in late fees. Please refer to the dates and deadlines for more information. Students who do not pay by the payment deadline will be purged from their class(es). In order to be reinstated after being purged for non-payment, students will need to petition
    • Students and their cosigner if required, will be bound by the "Dual Credit Payment Agreement" that can be found on the back page of the Dual Credit Registration Form included in the Dual Credit Registration Packet
    • Students under the age of 18 will need to have a co-signer to participate in the Dual Credit program. Students who have turned 18 or who will turn 18 during the length of the course will not need a cosigner. [Payment and Cosigner Information]
    • Non-attendance or non-completion of a course does not relieve a student and/or their cosigner of their charges

For more details view Dropping/Withdrawing or Payment Information.


Registration Exception Form

This form is used for registering courses, only if a student cannot register online.  This form must be submitted in person, through the student’s CWI email, by fax or mail with a copy of current photo ID.  Only exceptions to registration policies require an override signature.

Withdrawal Form

Dropping vs. Withdrawing from a course: Students who drop a course prior to drop date (the 10th day of class) are entitled to 100 percent refunds of tuition and fees. A dropped course does not generate a permanent record (the course does not appear on a transcript). Once the drop date has passed, students may withdraw form a course or courses. A Withdrawn course generates a permanent academic transcript record with a grade of "W". A "W" on a transcript does not affect your GPA. Students who withdraw are NOT entitled to refunds of tuition and fees and the full balance owed remains due and payable to CWI. Failure to make payments for balances owed may result in outstanding debts being sent to a collection agency.

IMPORTANT: Students can NOT withdraw from a course after the 12th week of the semester or 75 percent of the course has elapsed. Once 75 percent of the course has elapsed, students are responsible for the grades earned in their courses as determined by the instructors. The final grade assigned by the course instructor will become part of the student's permanent academic record.

Dual credit students can only drop/withdraw from courses by submitting a withdrawal form directly to the CWI Dual Credit Office. Plan to discuss dropping or withdrawing with a staff member in Dual Credit to ensure it's the best option for you. Classes may not be dropped by telephone or e-mail. Failure to drop by submitting an withdrawal form may result in an outstanding debt to the college as well as a permanent academic transcript record with a grade of "F". An "F" on a transcript may affect financial aid eligibility in the future. On campus/Online courses have different drop/withdraw dates than Dual Credit courses completed at the high school. Please review dates and deadlines for additional information.

Dual Credit Students Attending on Campus or Online

Textbook and Course Materials

Although some high schools offering Dual Credit coursework may provide books and materials for their students, all materials or textbooks required for a course are the responsibility of the student.

Course materials for on campus or online courses are always the responsibility of the student. Requirements for books and materials may be found in myCWI.

Steps for Graduation

Dual Credit students who plan to graduate simultaneously from high school and CWI must complete the steps for graduation in order to receive a diploma and participate in the commencement ceremony.

Graduation Steps

Need More Info?

Physical: 6042 Birch Lane, Nampa, ID 83687 NCMP Room 212    
Mailing: CWI Dual Credit MS 1300 PO Box 3010 Nampa, ID 83653

For information regarding dual credit courses offered at your high school, please contact your high school counselor or the CWI Dual Credit Director.