The Plumbing trade is growing and the College of Western Idaho Plumbing Apprenticeship Program is your key to starting a rewarding career in a field that is increasingly in need of trained and licensed technicians, installers, and trouble shooters.
The Plumbing Apprenticeship Program at CWI is a four year program that will take you from the basics to being prepared to take the Journeyman’s test.
You will learn from industry experts in the classroom in concert with employment in the Plumbing field for on-the-job training while earning a living. The schooling teaches the how’s and why’s of plumbing theory, the Uniform Plumbing Code, Idaho Plumbing Code, residential and commercial installations, blueprint reading and estimating, job safety, plumbing repairs, and much more.
You have two options for your Plumbing Apprenticeship program through CWI
- Hybrid (In-Class and Online) - Course content is delivered online and in-class with lab access. Class attendance is required one evening per week.
- Online - 100% of the course material is delivered over the Internet via an instructor led course. This does require a motivated individual to dedicate time and stay current with the materials.
Both options prepare you for the same required tests to become a licensed plumber.
You will have 576 hours of classroom (in-class or online) training along with 8,000 hours of on-the-job experience during the four year program.
Be prepared to work in these areas of the plumbing industry:
Registration is open every year from July through September and is based on first come, first serve. So mark your calendars and register as soon as you can.
Workforce Development at College of Western Idaho (CWI) provides you high-quality, short-term training to boost your job skills, acquire new career skills, and earn the certificates you need. Take as many classes as you want in our short-term, credit free classes with no applications, no transcripts, and no hassle. Just sign up and watch your career take off.
Classes are offered at a variety of locations throughout western Idaho that are taught by knowledgeable professionals with years of experience in the topics they teach.
What You Will Learn to Do
- Tools of the trade
- Blueprint reading
- Plumbing theory
- Plumbing vocabulary and terms
- Piping methods
- Venting of gas piping
- Service and trouble-shooting
- Uniform Plumbing Code requirements
- Hands-on training in a lab setting
Requirements and Costs
Degrees and Certificates
Certificate of Completion
Skills, Traits, and Prep Classes
- Register with the Idaho State Division of Building Safety for your on-the-job apprentice hours to start. Idaho State Division of Building Safety, Plumbing Board – 208.334.3950
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI One Stop Student Services offers advising assistance, to help in deciding which courses you need to take to complete your educational goals. Visit Advising for more information or contact One Stop Student Services to schedule an appointment.
- Plumbing Apprenticeship Program costs are $875 per year
- Textbook costs will vary by year
Class costs and fees are subject to change without notice.
There are an assortment of scholarship opportunities available if you qualify to help cover some or all of the costs associated with classes offered through CWI Workforce Development. Call us at 208.562.2700 for more information.
CWI Workforce Development offers you multiple payment options to cover the cost of your program. For more information, visit Payment Options
- Plumber Journeyman
- Residential Plumber
- Commercial Plumber
- Industrial Plumber
- Plumbing Contractor