What do I do if I need to drop or withdraw from a class?

If you find that at any point during a term you must drop a class, please consult with your academic advisor first. If you agree that it is in your best interest to drop a class, you must complete an official add/drop form or complete withdrawal form. You can drop classes any time during the full refund period (please refer to the CWI academic calendar for specific dates) without penalty and receive a full refund of tuition and fees. Your financial aid will be adjusted automatically. Dropping or withdrawing from classes after the full refund period may have negative consequences related to the standards of satisfactory progress. In accordance with federal financial aid regulations (CFR 668.22), you may be required to repay federal financial aid funds if you drop, completely withdraw, are administratively withdrawn, or fail to earn a passing grade in any or all of the classes you attempt in any term.

If you withdraw completely from any term, you will likely have to repay some of the financial aid you received to CWI, the U.S. Department of Education, or both. If you are required to repay, you will receive written notification concerning your options once you complete the official withdrawal process.  If you attend beyond the 60% point of the semester you are considered to have earned 100% of your financial aid and will not have to repay unearned funds.  Students who fail to officially withdraw and simply stop attending are assumed to have completed no more than 50% of the semester (in the absence of documentation from your instructors) and are likely to owe a repayment of federal financial aid. Please read carefully any correspondence you receive in reference to a complete withdrawal. CWI is required to report overpayments of federal grants to the U.S. Department of Education's collection unit if no repayment arrangements are made within 45 days of being notified.

PLEASE NOTE: A class drop, withdrawal, or administrative withdrawal may affect your ability to receive financial aid in the future at any college or university.  Further information is available from CWI One Stop Student Services.