FAQ - General

FAQ Search

Dental Assisting - PTE Program

Is a dental assisting career physically demanding?

Dental assistants need to be able to move quickly from room to room and be able to stand or sit in a small area when necessary. Clinical assistants need to be able to work with both hands at the same time during many procedures and have good hand-eye coordination.

Is the dental assisting program accredited?

The Dental Assisting Program is accredited by the American Dental Association.

Is the program full-time? Is it during the day, night, on-line?

The program is full-time during the spring and fall semesters. Primarily courses are Monday thru Friday, during the day. During second semester, students are working in dental offices and must follow the hours of each office – usually 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

What do I need before I can start attending classes?

After submitting a completed Dental Assisting Application, you will need to contact Terrie Beckman, Dental Assisting Program Head, for an interview and if accepted into the program, current CPR and First Aid certifications are required prior to program start.

What is the cost of the program?

Approximately $6,500.00 for two semesters and summer session tuition, two semesters books $500, and $1,000 supplies (In-District Idaho Residents only).

What Kind of Degree(s) Can I Earn in Dental Assisting?

A Technical Certificate (TC) in Dental Assisting requires you to complete dental and general education courses in three semesters (approximately 11 months). Please see the Dental Grid for Technical Certificate requirements. Graduates are eligible to take the certification exam given by the Dental Assisting National Board and the Idaho Expanded Functions Tests.

To obtain your Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Dental Assisting you will need to complete your Technical Certificate first and then complete an additional semester (approximately 16 months) for your AAS. Please see the Dental Grid for Associate of Applied Science Degree requirements. Graduates are eligible to take the certification exam given by the Dental Assisting National Board and the Idaho Expanded Functions Tests.


After submitting my application, how do I know if it was received?

After you hit the "submit" button a message will appear to let you know if your application was processed. Early submission is recommended.

Can I apply for a CWI scholarship if I am working toward a certificate and not a degree?

Yes. Applicants may be seeking either a degree or certificate unless otherwise noted in the scholarship criteria.

Can I apply for CWI scholarships if I am participating in a Business Partnerships/Workforce Development apprenticeship program?

Yes. There are several CWI scholarships directed to students in Business Partnerships / Workforce Development apprenticeships programs. The scholarship application questionnaire will ask specific questions regarding your program of study to identify your eligibility for these scholarships. Please enter the last 6 digits of your student ID when completing the application.

Can I be awarded more than one scholarship per semester?

Yes, though multiple awards are not typical. The scholarship committee will usually try to assist as many students as possible. Some donors may request that their scholarship not be awarded to a student receiving other scholarship assistance.

Does the amount I receive in scholarships affect my eligibility for financial aid?

Yes. Scholarships are applied directly to your student account through One Stop Student Services. Your unmet need will be recalculated and, if necessary, your aid package will be adjusted. In most cases, any adjustment will only affect that amount of student loans borrowed.

How are scholarship recipients selected?

Applications are reviewed by a committee. All decisions are final.

How will I know if I've been awarded a scholarship?

The selection process will take approximately six weeks. Notifications of non-award will not be sent until all awards have been notified and officially accepted.

I am already receiving financial aid and/or another non-CWI scholarship. Can I still apply for a scholarship?

Yes. You can and should apply for both financial aid and scholarships. If you are awarded a CWI scholarship, One Stop Student Services will be notified and any adjustments to your current financial aid package will be made accordingly. In most cases, any adjustments result in a reduced amount of student loans borrowed.