Facebook Ads Pixel

Nursing (Professional) - PTE RN Program

FAQ - Nursing (Professional) - PTE RN Program

Nursing (Professional) - PTE RN Program

Are Reference Forms still required for the AS in Nursing Application?

No - reference forms are no longer required for the nursing application.


Can I obtain additional points on the application for current medical certifications?

Yes - you can obtain additional points on the application for specific and current medical certifications.  Please refer to the AS in Nursing Application to find out which medical certifications are accepted and their corresponding points. 


Can I still work while in the program?

Students have found it difficult to work full time while attending the program. This is a personal choice and is encouraged to be looked at carefully, especially in the final semester.

Can I transfer into a BSN program?

Nursing courses from associate degree programs do not usually transfer directly into BSN programs. However, once you have acquired the Registered Nurse license, there are multiple RN to BSN completion programs available to you. BSU has an online RN-BSN program, as well as an on-campus in-person RN-BSN program, for associate degree nursing graduates.

Did the LPN to AS in Nursing Bridge (3 semester) program merge with the AS in Nursing (4 semester) program?

Effective fall 2014, new College of Western Idaho (CWI) students with Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) status will enter the CWI Nursing program in a synergistic cohort model covering four semesters. This model will improve collaboration and support in covering the rigorous curriculum – benefiting all nursing students.

Previously, new LPN students did not attend the first semester of the program which led to challenges in adjusting to the academic setting and connecting with fellow students who were entering the second semester.

“We believe that this change will ultimately help students succeed in an inclusive learning environment,” notes CWI Nursing Program Chair Allison Baker. “Our goal is to provide nursing students with the best in education while at CWI so that they are successful in their nursing career.”

Do we need to take the TEAS test prior to acceptance?

Yes - the successful completion and corresponding score on a TEAS test will be an important part of the application process moving forward. Information is on-line at: www.atitesting.com. You will always want to study for and complete the most current available TEAS assessment as there may be a few assessments to choose from. TEAS scores are good up to five years. When you apply to the AS in Nursing program, you will need to include a copy of your best TEAS score to date.  For more information on how we score applications, please see our AS in Nursing Application.

You can take the TEAS assessment at any of CWI’s Compass Testing Centers or through a proctoring facility such as Pearson View www.vue.com.
For more information on assessment services or to schedule a test please contact the Assessment Center at 208.562.2542, 208.562.3267 or email [email protected]

Does it matter whether I have Math 123 or Math 143 when I apply to the AS Nursing Program?

Applicants will receive the same amount of points on the application for either course. In fact, any GEM 3 course (Math 123, 130, 143, 147, 153, 160 or 170) can be used for your math requirement on the nursing application.

How do credits transfer from TVCC on a quarter system?

Many courses from accredited programs/colleges will transfer. In order to be sure of the transferring coursework, you will want to apply to CWI on-line, pay the $25.00 Application Fee and submit your official transcripts directly from each college/university to One Stop Student Services, MS 1000, PO 3010, Nampa, ID 83653. CWI will then evaluate your transcripts and send you a Transcript Evaluation Report by mail. You may also visit Transfer Information to view a conversion chart.

How do I get more information about applying to the health programs at CWI?

One of the best places to obtain all kinds of great information about health programs at CWI is to attend a bi-monthly Healthcare Information Session (Ada & Canyon County Campuses)! It is a great venue for gathering tips and strategies on how to become the most competitive applicant you can be! Visit the calendar of upcoming events for a schedule of sessions.

How many students are accepted each year into the Associate of Nursing program?

The top 40 scores, as determined using the published admission ranking criteria, will be accepted into the program. 

Please consider attending a Healthcare Information Session at least one year prior to application.  They are offered twice a month (Ada Campus and Canyon County Campus).  By attending a Healthcare Information Session early in the process, you will be well aware of all the requirements and can make alternate plans to coursework if needed. 

If I have completed my bachelor's degree and want to apply to the CWI AS in Nursing program, how do I find out what transferred to CWI so I can apply?

At CWI we do not automatically evaluate bachelor’s and/or master’s degrees. In order to find out what courses transferred to CWI, you need to submit a completed Bachelor’s Degree Transfer Credit Request Form.

Is the program full-time? Is it during the day, night, on-line?

Primarily courses are Monday thru Friday, during the day. This varies by semester and by clinical site. At this time, there are no online courses available for the AS Nursing program.

Is there a wait list to get into program?

We accept new applications every spring for fall admission. There is no waiting list. Students who wish to be considered for application must reapply each year by resubmitting an application. Previously submitted applications will not be available to students who want to reapply. It is recommended that applicants keep personal copies of all the submitted documentation for the application process.

Is your nursing program accredited?

On Tuesday (Aug. 6, 2013), the College of Western Idaho (CWI) Nursing program announced it has been approved for initial accreditation with the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), formerly the National League for Nursing Accreditation (NLNAC). The ACEN Board of Commissioners recommended initial accreditation for the program following a site review completed in late January.

“This national accreditation signifies the quality of CWI’s nursing program. Students’ graduating from the program and successfully passing NCLEX exam will be able to transfer on to bachelor and graduate nursing programs and receive preferential employability with healthcare organizations,” said Cathleen Currie, CWI Assistant Dean for Health and Human Services. “Garnering accreditation for our nursing programs involves virtually every area of our college from our One Stop Student Services team who help students through the enrollment process, to the faculty in our academic areas building the foundational skills, to the nursing instructors who provide exceptional hands-on learning opportunities for our students to succeed.”

Until now, the CWI Nursing program was considered a candidate for national accreditation. Approval of initial accreditation was awarded following a rigorous review process of CWI’s self-study report, the College catalog, curriculum review, a site visitor’s report, a recommendation by the Program Evaluators and Evaluation Review Panel. The new designation provides the program a five-year period to further develop areas of emphasis as identified by the Board of Commissioners, with an evaluation visit scheduled for spring 2018. The ACEN is responsible for the specialized accreditation of a wide variety of nursing education programs, including clinical doctorate, master’s, bachelor’s, associate, diploma, and practical programs.

“Our nursing program has been producing exceptional students with highly desirable skills,” notes CWI President Bert Glandon. “We are thrilled to have received confirmation from the ACEN for initial accreditation status and look forward to continuing to serve our community with affordable, quality educational offerings that support a strong workforce in the healthcare sector.”  

Also see our Nursing page for more details.

It has been 15+ years since I was in college. Will everything transfer?

Many courses from accredited programs/colleges will transfer. In order to be sure of the transferring coursework, you will want to apply to CWI online, pay the $25.00 Application Fee and submit your official transcripts directly from each college/university to One Stop Student Services, MS 1000, P.O. Box 3010, Nampa, ID 83653. CWI will then evaluate your transcripts and send you a Transcript Evaluation Report by mail. The Transcript Evaluation Report your key to knowing which courses transferred to CWI!