Facebook Ads Pixel

FAQ - General

FAQ Search

Leave blank for all. Otherwise, the first selected term will be the default instead of "Any".

Nursing (Professional) - PTE RN Program

What if I am almost done with my pre and co-requisites, I have submitted my application, and I am waiting to find out if I have been accepted?

Until you are accepted into a Healthcare Program at CWI, you may declare your major as Biology Healthcare. All the AS in Nursing pre and co-requisites are included within the Biology Healthcare Emphasis Associate of Science Degree. It is in your best interest to keep working towards completing an AS in Biology Healthcare while you are waiting to find out if you have been accepted into your desired healthcare program. If you are not accepted into the AS Nursing Program, you can still graduate with  an AS in Biology Healthcare degree and transfer to any four-year college with your first two years completed!

When Completing my nursing application, how do I know what year to run my Biology Healthcare Program Evaluation under?

You can find your appropriate catalog year (a.k.a. the year you started attending classes at CWI) by going to your Profile in your MyCWI account.

When do you accept applications for the AS in Nursing Program?

We only accept AS in Nursing applications once a year (January thru March).  Please consider attending a Healthcare Information Session at least a year before you apply so that you are aware of the requirements and can adjust your coursework if needed.  The Healthcare Information Sessions are offered twice a month (Ada Campus & Canyon County Campus).  The schedule is listed on the left-hand side of the nursing webpage under "Resources" as well as in the Student Calendar. 

Where will my clinical experiences be and do I get to choose?

Clinical experience sites are arranged through a series of coordinated efforts with other facilities and schools throughout the Treasure Valley. Clinical sites are not selected by students, although there are options for students to select the sections (days and times) for most clinical courses.

Why isn’t an essay still required for the AS in Nursing Application?

The AS in Nursing Application was updated to make the process easier for the applicants.  The essays were never scored so they were eliminated. 

Will you help us get a job after graduation?

The nursing program will write letters of recommendation and post job openings. Additionally numerous resources are available to assist you in your job search and resume writing through the Career & College Transfer Center. 

Dental Assisting - PTE Program

Can I still work while in the program?

The Dental Assisting curriculum is demanding but achievable for students who have made arrangements and are organized. Students should not attempt to work during the week. Working students often have a hard time keeping grades up. “A” students become “B” students, “B” students become “C” students, etc. Students must allow 3-4 hours per day for outside study, reading and homework. Attendance is required with penalties for excessive absences and make-up time required for clinical absences. Students with childcare responsibilities need to have reliable care arranged with alternate care for the emergency situations.

Do students work on real patients?

Students are required to recruit their own patients. Students will need four adult x-ray patients, people with whom to practice teaching oral hygiene, and patients to place sealants and perform coronal polish on. No charge is made to the volunteer patients, and it is the student’s responsibility to find them.

How Do I Get Started in Dental Assisting?

Complete the admission requirements to College of Western Idaho. You must complete all steps on the application process for consideration. The PRIORITY application deadline for a Fall Semester start is May 1st and November 30th for a Spring Semester start. Applications submitted after priority deadline will be considered as space allows. The application process and all forms are available at CWI’s One Stop Student Services office or online. It is recommended that you complete COMM 101 or ENGL 101, Math 123 and Psychology 101 prior to starting the Dental Assisting Program. If you need a brush-up on your computers skills, CISA 101- Computer Literacy Skill Development is a course designed to help students develop their skills.

If the pre requisites are not completed prior to application deadline, enclose a copy of your CWI Compass Placement Scores in the application. Your placement scores need to be high enough to place into Math 015, Read 101, and English 101.

How long is the Dental Assisting Program once I get admitted?

The Dental Assisting program is 11 months, beginning in the Fall or Spring Semester, with a maximum of 24 students.

Is a dental assisting career physically demanding?

Dental assistants need to be able to move quickly from room to room and be able to stand or sit in a small area when necessary. Clinical assistants need to be able to work with both hands at the same time during many procedures and have good hand-eye coordination.

Is the dental assisting program accredited?

The Dental Assisting Program is accredited by the American Dental Association.

Is the program full-time? Is it during the day, night, on-line?

The program is full-time during the spring and fall semesters. Primarily courses are Monday thru Friday, during the day. During second semester, students are working in dental offices and must follow the hours of each office – usually 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

What do I need before I can start attending classes?

After submitting a completed Dental Assisting Application, you will need to contact Terrie Beckman, Dental Assisting Program Head, for an interview and if accepted into the program, current CPR and First Aid certifications are required prior to program start.

What is the cost of the program?

Approximately $6,500.00 for two semesters and summer session tuition, two semesters books $500, and $1,000 supplies (In-District Idaho Residents only).