Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards

All degree/certificate seeking students must meet certain academic progress standards in order to establish and maintain eligibility for financial aid and scholarships. Federal regulations require CWI to establish, publish, and monitor your progress toward completion of your certificate or degree program.  CWI measures your academic progress and you will be notified of your SAP standing at the conclusion of each semester.

IMPORTANT:  If, for any reason, you fall below the standards for satisfactory academic progress, you will be placed of financial aid warning or suspension and will no longer be eligible to receive financial aid at CWI.  If, there are extenuating circumstances that contributed to your academic difficulties, you have the right to appeal.


What are the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards?

1) GPA Requirement

  • Students must maintain a minimum Institutional GPA of 2.00*

2) Pace of Completion Requirement

  • Students must progress toward completion of their declared degree/certificate while maintaining a minimum 67% completion rate.*

3) Maximum Timeframe Requirement

  • Students must be able to complete their declared degree or certificate program within 150% of the published number of credit hours required to complete the program.*

How will I be notified if I am making Satisfactory Academic Progress?

The Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) are evaluated at the end of each semester after final grades are posted. You will then be notified (via email or regular mail) of your current SAP standing.

If you are struggling academically, Be sure to watch for notification of your SAP status to know whether you will be required to complete additional steps to regain financial aid eligibility.

*Please view the full SAP Policy, including detailed descriptions of the standards, statuses, and notifications -

CWI Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

How can I be successful academically?

It’s always a good idea set up an academic plan (an outline available online, in the catalog, or set when meeting with an advisor that shows which classes to take to obtain your degree) as a road map to help you be successful. Please also be aware of the resources available to you as a student, such as the academic catalog, tutoring services, and academic advising.


What should I do if I am struggling academically?

It is important to be proactive. Hopefully, you created an academic plan and know where you are struggling. Be sure to meet with an advisor. If you have an academic advisor assigned to you, you can email your advisor through myCWI (go to “My Toolkit” > “Communication” > “Email My Advisor(s)”). If you do not have an advisor assigned to you or if you would like more information about advising at CWI, you can contact One Stop Student Services and ask to be assigned to an advisor or meet with a One Stop Advisor.

It is important to meet the standards of satisfactory academic progress (SAP) to maintain eligibility for financial aid. If you were in “Good Standing” and currently aren’t meeting one or more of the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress, you will be placed on “Warning”. You are strongly encouraged to meet with your academic advisor to develop and/or discuss your plan for academic success. A “Warning” does not prevent you from receiving financial aid and scholarships. A “Warning” is intended to alert you that you aren’t meeting academic progress standards. Continued lack of progress will ultimately lead to “Suspension”.


What Should I Do If I Am Placed On Financial Aid Suspension?

If you are on financial aid "Suspension", you are temporarily ineligible for future financial aid and scholarship disbursements until further action is taken. However, it is possible to regain your eligibility for financial aid.

You can:

  • Continue to attend classes by paying your own costs. Your SAP standing will be re-evaluated at the conclusion of each semester and you will regain your eligibility for financial aid once you begin meeting ALL of the standards again. In some cases, it may require multiple semesters of satisfactory academic progress to regain good standing.
  • Appeal your financial aid suspension if there were extenuating circumstances that led to your academic difficulties.

How Can I Appeal my Financial Aid Suspension?

In order to appeal your financial aid suspension, you must:

*Be sure to bring this completed form to the appointment, along with any other documentation you would like to submit with your appeal.

At your appeal appointment, you will work with a CWI One Stop Advisor to develop an education plan (showing only classes you are required to take that you will be required to follow if your appeal is approved) that will ensure your future academic success. After the appointment, your appeal will be reviewed and you will receive a notification of whether your appeal is approved or denied.

Note: If your appeal is approved, your financial aid for future semesters will be conditionally reinstated and your progress carefully monitored. In order to regain your eligibility for financial aid, you must enroll ONLY in courses that are recommended by a CWI One Stop Advisor in your education plan and maintain SAP standards.

CWI Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)