Grievance Procedures

The purpose of the grievance procedure is to allow for the resolution of student grievances alleging accommodation violations of anti-discrimination laws, specifically Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act.


A student may choose to resolve the problem of inappropriate or inadequate accommodations in the classroom by speaking directly with the faculty member and requesting appropriate accommodations. A student may request advice, assistance, and/or advocacy from the Coordinator of Student Disability Services or Director of Student Affairs and Programs. Requests for appropriate accommodations must be made during the semester that the course is being taken. As indicated in the Policies and Procedures for Requesting Disability Services, documentation of a student’s disability must be on file if academic accommodations are being requested.

Students may wish to discuss the situation informally with the student affairs personnel for assistance. Discussion with the faculty member, disability staff, and/or department coordinators may lead to resolution of the matter without further procedures. If not, the student may choose to file a formal written complaint.


To initiate a formal complaint, the student will need to contact Student Disability Services. A student may request advice, assistance or advocacy from this office.

The Director of Student Affairs and Programs will send written notification of the complaint filed by the student and the nature of the complaint to the faculty member, indicating the type and purpose of appropriate academic accommodations. Copies of this notification may also be sent to the Department Chair, the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs, the Dean of Enrollment and Student Services, and the Director of Human Resources. It is further understood that permission is given for the exchange of information as deemed necessary for the provision of the requested accommodations and who have a legitimate educational need to know.

If an agreement between a faculty member and the student cannot be reached, then the student or faculty member may request that the CWI Disability Services staff review the request and offered accommodations.  The SDS staff member will make a recommendation for accommodations and if this recommendation is not agreeable to both parties a formal appeal may be made to the Dean Enrollment & Student Services.  It is understood that the findings and interpretations of the accommodations request will be reviewed by the Dean of Enrollment & Student Services and the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.  Their joint findings shall be the final interpretation.

Disclaimer: If your grievance is for academic reasoning, and not under your accommodations per the Student Disability Services office please go through your academic department chair.

Timeframe for Resolving Disagreements

In situations where there is disagreement concerning the appropriateness of a particular accommodation, every effort will be made to resolve the disagreement as expeditiously as possible. In general, each phase of the review process should occur within ten working days including informal resolution by the faculty and/or disabled student services professional, formal review by the appropriate disability services professional, Department Chairperson, AVP, and final determination by the Executive Vice President of Instruction. In consultation with DSS, every effort should be made by the academic department to try to enable the student to continue in the course throughout the grievance proceeding.

If you are still dissatisfied, you may contact:


Need More Info?