Apply For Financial Aid

Federal student aid programs:  grants, work-study, or student loans, can make CWI an even better value. Complete the FAFSA now. Federal School Code 042118.

1. Applying for Financial Aid

The federal financial aid process can take several weeks. To get started, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.

To sign you FAFSA electronically you will need a n FSA ID. If your FAFSA requires parent information, your parent should also apply for an FSA ID. Remember your FSA ID number and do not share it, the FSA ID can be used to make corrections or view your FAFSA later.

CWI Federal School Code: 042118

The U.S. Department of Education (DOE) processes your FAFSA shortly after you submit it. Once processed, you receive an email from DOE about your Student Aid Report (SAR) and an electronic copy is forwarded to CWI. Please review your SAR carefully and correct any inaccurate answers.

Once you receive your SAR, be sure to manage your aid so you know what to do to get to the next step and receive your aid.

2. Manage Your Aid

Respond to requests for documentation from CWI promptly. Once all completed items have been submitted and reviewed, you will be sent an award notification outlining the aid you are eligible to receive. MyCWI displays this information and details the additional steps necessary to receive some types of aid.

Steps to Take to Complete Your Application

1. Submit Requested Documents

Expect an email from CWI One Stop Student Services shortly after your FAFSA is processed (about the same time you receive your SAR). We may request additional information (required by the U.S. Department of Education) to clarify, resolve or assist in preparing your financial aid award package. Check your aid and document status on myCWI. Occasionally you may be required to provide additional information, even after submitting documents. Please respond promptly.

2. Receive Your Award Notification

Shortly after submitting the information requested; CWI One Stop Student Services will finalize the review of your application materials (required by the U.S. Department of Education) and determine what aid you qualify for. You will receive an Award Notification with detailed information about the financial aid awards you are eligible to receive. You can also view this information on myCWI.

3. Accept, Reduce, Decline Your Awards

Carefully review and follow the instructions on your Award Notification. Your financial aid “package” may include a combination of grants, scholarships, student employment, and student loans. CWI offers the lowest tuition and fee cost in Southwest Idaho which is why we encourage you to reduce or decline any financial aid (especially student loans) that you don’t need to pay for direct educational expenses such as tuition, fees, books, etc. Be conscientious of the debt you accumulate and your ability to repay it later.

3. Receive Your Aid

Follow these steps to receive your aid:

Complete Your Loan Entrance Counseling

First-time student loan borrowers are required to complete student loan entrance counseling. We want you to have the information you need to make good decisions about student loans. Entrance counseling must be completed to receive student loan funds.

Complete Your Student Loan Master Promissory Note

Students who plan to borrow loans are required to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) in order to receive loan funds.

Receive Your Funds

Once awards are accepted and your student loan counseling and MPN are complete (if applicable), your awards are ready for disbursement. CWI’s disbursement schedule is predetermined based on the academic calendar (please choose the correct academic calendar year to view disbursement dates). Financial aid awards are distributed to your CWI student account each semester according to this disbursement schedule. Financial aid awards pay for your CWI charges (tuition & fees, etc.) first and any excess will be refunded to you.

Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students that apply for or received federal student aid are required by the U.S. Department of Education to maintain satisfactory academic progress. This means you have to get good grades and take classes that help you make progress toward completing a degree or certificate. Review the CWI standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress carefully and contact CWI One Stop Student Services with questions!